Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Saying goodbye is an essential part of being a traveller

On Saturday I said goodbye to an old friend. We had been together for 11 years and the last two were the hardest. We grew apart so quickly. Well we didn't quite "grow apart" as you might say, one of us changed. I am not going to place the blame or point fingers but it became apparent a few months ago that it was nearing the end of the road so, Good Bye Camrey, it's been a long strange trip. Nice knowin' ya and thank you.

I had to go to 9915 SE Powell to pay my last respects. It was a nice sunny Saturday. I called the tow guys and waited for them outside the gate of the impound lot.

While waiting I thought I might snap a few pictures. Here is the shifter knob of the teal-green Mazda that my friend Shane has loaned me for the last few months.

Another interior picture of the car as I waited. I zoomed out from the mailbox shot earlier.

After a while I got out of the car and poked around a little outside the gate.

apparently somebody enjoyed themselves while they waited.

Oh yeah, have I mentioned that I waited. I pulled up in front of this place around 1:30 pm. This was a half an hour after I called just as the tow company instructed me. This is me angry, at around 3:00pm.

I paced around inside the gate while the "tow guy" processed two other people that had showed up while I waited. He made me wait because he wanted to allow them their cars and because I was only going through mine to remove some personal stuff. I waited some more.

The old blue building the office was in was in pretty bad disrepair but the texture of the paint was cool.

This is a detail from the tow truck. The tiny wheel was mounted in a pair on the upper deck of the truck. I still can't quite figure out what they were for.

The temporary brake and directional lights with strong magnets had their place on a bolted on slab of metal. I do not know what 7164 stands for either.

Another shot of the pealing paint from the front of the building. Awesome blue sky in background reminds me of how much time I wasted waiting for the toothless truck driver to show up.

Just to the east of the tow yard was a steel company. The racks of rusting steel looked neat with the now setting sun-beams casting shadows upon them.

An artsy picture of a pine cone and a weed. Not the only living thing on the lot but pretty close to it.

So let's recap. I waited two hours plus to remove maybe five things from a car I no longer can drive because it is dead. Here is the kicker, the Toyota was parked in so tight I could barely reach into it to roll the window down so I could lean into it to pull the stuff out. I also ripped a shirt and my jacket in doing so. AHHHHH!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Listen to Andy McKee. You will love this stuff.