Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I didn't enjoy your ghettoblaster being destroyed, but I enjoy you living to tell about it.

About two months ago my friend Wade kicked me down an old boom box radio that didn't work. I have had the idea to put a bunch of gadgets into an old radio shell so it could be used as a stand alone music/noise maker of some kind. I also my wanted it to look as stock as possible using the radio's knobs, switches and dials to control the gadgets.

The first gadget to go into it would have to be some type of signal generator. I can easily fit it into the radio. It has only one dial and I can wire it to the radios existing antenna. Justin has built many Theremin in his life so I figured that would be the best bet. Harrison Instruments has a cheap Minimum Theremin Kit ($44) so I ordered it and have now begun the boom box project. I will keep everyone posted as the project moves forward.

The outside of the box containing the kit.

Conflicting box instructions? No, all x-rays are scans but not all scans are x-rays apparently.

Simple map that came with the kit. No instructions but it really is basically a paint by number type project. Resistor R1 goes into the PC board on top of the R1 picture printed on it. A snap.

Every component came packed in it's own zippered bag.

My favorite. Like it needed to be labeled. I guess this is a kit put together for beginners.

This isn't even the smallest part in the kit. Looks about the size of a sesame seed with a high E guitar string through it. By the way that isn't dirt under my nail it is dried blood from an unfortunate run it with a rogue cardboard box flap. Paper cuts...Weeeee!!!

A little bit of my handy work. Not so good with the soldering pen yet but give it some time. I do shake a bit so that could be the excuse for awhile.

It can also explain the R9 resistor standing at attention in this shot.

Here is where I stopped. Notice the blob of solder bridging over to the next solder point. I have no way of fixing that so off to Wade's shop I go to use the little unsolder tool thingie.

In the next installment of Minimum Theremin kit assembly I hope top have it done and testing and mounting will begin. See you then.

No comments: