Thursday, August 13, 2009

I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping

1915 – 2009

The man who invented all the things that allow me to process a guitar signal and allow me to make the music I love has passed. Multi-tracking, overdubbing, tape delay and phasing effects plus the little thing I like to call "electric guitar" are a few of the devices and processes Les Paul developed in his 94 years.

He created the "Les Paulverizer" which allowed Les to create an orchestra of guitars on the fly live. He Later made the mythical "Les Paulverizer" real for his stage show, using a small prop box attached to his guitar. He really pretended to lay down one track over another and then play over the repeating forms he had pre-recorded.

We now have modern looping delay devices that Les Paul dared to dream about.

Thank you Les Paul.

1 comment:

Casey said...

A few flowers adorned the sign at the entrance of downtown Waukesha...I'm sure tomorrow there will be a few more. I am going to try to get a pic to post.